IT ALL STARTED with the want to archive them digital files. I recently purchased this external hard drive and took to the task, quite immediately (the old Samsung already screaming notifications upon notifications that I should delete files already - it's running on a mere 8G of free space. But I digress.).
Anyway, I cheerfully started out organizing everything. I deleted installers, old programs I do not use, and ebooks.
And then I got to the photos. And because I use both Picasa and Google Drive, everything's taggable - by date, or category. I allowed myself the entire week to finish this.
I felt I have traveled, seen, and loved enough. And if ever, in the future, I travel, see, and love some more, how will whatever is new compare to whatever is old?
But, as I was digging through files after files, call me sentimental, but I sort of got... a lot sad.
Here I am, a forward-thinking person, one who thought himself quite immune to nostalgia, sifting through photos of a life well-lived ... and still can't help but grow a lot sentimental.
I even had to play faster tunes to help things along.
Looking at these collections, I felt I have traveled, seen, and loved enough. Mia said I haved loved for about 5 lifetimes, experienced more than the average Joe. And if ever, in the future, I travel, see, and love some more, how will whatever is new compare to whatever is old?
Ahhh. I do not even know why I ask this. One shouldn't compare really. And for the most part, I have been unsentimental, really.
But then I got to our pictures. Your photos. You smile at me from an era long ago, back when I was a fool and you were silly enough to believe with whatever it was Life threw at us. And I thought -- while the photos were wonderful -- how photos could be a lot unfair, not being able to capture feelings, context, and the us of that time.
I really ought to journal more. Because I find I am left with just photographs, a few notes, and some email and Viber exchanges, to remember you by. And this, I want to remember, when I am old and hopeless, and filled with regrets.
This is what I get for just trying to be a bit more, tidy, for wanting to Konmari the digital photos archive. I think this is the low-level equivalent of moving homes, something I have done more than a dozen times in my short life.
Upheaval never gets easy, even with frequency, and constant practice, it seems. And excuse me for abandoning this project for a while. I cannot do this properly, now.
MEANWHILE, Empoy's film is getting rave reviews, and someone amazing agreed to come with me as I go down to see it.
_______________________
Listening to: Close to Me by D'Sound
suitcase of memories, the digital photos kind
Reviewed by Your Regular Average Guy
on
11:13 AM
Rating:
Delete some already. They can be unwanted baggage sometimes.
ReplyDeleteI...can't.
Delete